10.21.2005

Guide to Bargaining For Work/Life Policies

The Labor Project for Working Families released what I think is a pretty novel guide of how to organize around and bargain for work/life issues. I haven't seen the full guide (the Labor Project is selling it for $10), but it includes model contract language and strategies for organizing around these issues. Clearly, unions have been central in getting the limited work/life benefits that some of us do have (i.e. 40 hour work week, paid leave policies), but I think they have a crucially important role in getting better policies both with individual employers and on the state and national level. Child care and paid sick leave are to me, some of the most important issues for unions to face. And, good work/life policies are not just important for people with children, they are important for anyone who wants to have a life outside of work.

In any case, I don't know how widely this guide is being used, but I wanted to highlight it as an important resource for organizers, workers, and anyone else. I think this area touches on Brother Josh's recent post about how labor needs some big national program to rally around, some vision for all workers, not just union workers. The policies that I can think of that fit this bill are health care and work/life policies. Health care doesn't seem to be that promising, so maybe work/life policies are the key!

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home